10 Oct What are wrongful death claims?
Wrongful death claims are brought against a defendant who has caused someone’s death either negligently or through intentional harm. Wrongful death claims in Georgia allow the estate of the deceased person to file a lawsuit against the party who is legally liable for the death. If the person had survived, then the claim would likely be one of personal injury; however, since the person was killed as a result of negligent or intentionally harmful conduct then the estate of the person can file a wrongful death claim to recover damages for his or her heirs.
In Georgia, damages in a wrongful death claim include:
- the deceased person’s pre-death pain and suffering
- the medical costs that the deceased victim incurred as a result of the injury prior to death
- funeral and burial costs
- loss of the deceased person’s expected income
- loss of any inheritance as a result of the death
- loss of love and companionship, and
- loss of consortium.
For more information on wrongful death claims in Georgia, please contact AJ Law Practice.